Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Crock Pot Banana Bread

Too Many Bananas

Not long ago, I made a cake mix in the crock pot. So, when I had too many bananas I decided to see if I could make banana bread in the crock pot too... This is how it turned out.

I placed a very tiny loaf pan in the bottom of the crock pot (You could use a sturdy cookie cutter or two. Then I placed the lid on the top and let it heat up as I was making the banana bread.


Then I chose a loaf pan that would fit inside the crock pot, on top of the little pan and allow for the lid to go on, as well as, expansion of the bread as it cooks.


Place lid on crock pot. Turn to high and allow to heat as you are making the banana bread.

This is my banana bread recipe taken and adapted from my La Leche League cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" I love this recipe because it is adaptable to what I have on hand...

Banana Bread
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium)
1/3 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup whole wheat or unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1 tsp nutmeg

Beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, mix well. Stir in bananas. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with hot water; mix until smooth. Bake in greased loaf pan at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for a 1/2 hour before slicing. Freezes well. This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
(I have used this recipe many times and it is always yummy. When I was making my loaf in the crock pot I also baked 2 loaves in the oven to compare it with.)

Once the bread was mixed I placed it in the heated crock pot and waited :) The took a little more then twice the time of the bread cooked in the oven.
The bread will brown lightly on the sides but will not get as dark as bread cooked in the oven. Test bread with a toothpick in center. It is finished when the toothpick comes out clean.



The following is a comparison of the bread cooked in the crock pot vs. in the oven.

Bread on left was cooked in crock pot.



This is how the crock pot banana bread looks when cut.

This is the oven banana bread.

The crock pot banana bread was very moist and it cut well. My family had varying opinions on which version of the bread they liked best. All of them liked the crock pot bread well enough to eat over and over again... The best part is you could cook the banana bread out on the porch in the summer so the house does not heat up.

8 comments:

jess said...

I haven't tried breads in the crock pot before. Great idea for summer when you don't want to use the oven!

henny said...

Did you put water inside the crock pot before? We don't have it here.
I wonder if a steamer could replace it. I'll try if I'm in the 'mood' in baking :)

Shelly G said...

Henny...I am sorry it took so long to get back to you about this... We went on holiday... I didn't put water in the crockpot. I just cooked it dry. I am not sure if a steamer would work... I am wondering if my electric rice steamer would work... I am not sure but I might try it:)

naomi said...

this is a great idea! Although I think my crock pot is a little small to fit a cake tin in:(

Chile said...

Hm, I wonder if I could make "coffee can bread" with that technique? My crockpot is old and tall rather than wide. I used to have the baking insert but got rid of it since it was aluminum (not safe for cooking).

How long did your bread take in the crockpot?

Shelly G said...

Chile, I would think that a coffee can would work really well... or those canning jars that are wide all the way to the top... so that it could just slide out... I used to have one of those crockpots... about 6 crockpots ago... My family has killed many crockpots along the way... This one thankfully has lasted longer... less bells and whistles I guess:)~
I hope you try the technique...

Unknown said...

I don't like banana much like my kids. But this one sounds interesting. Think should give it a try for my cousin who is coming in the weekend.

The Coach's Wife said...

Do you mind if I copy this recipe adaptation and share with our local LLL group? I love it!! Thanks!