Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who me? A Hippie? Me?

OK, I May Be An Ex-Hippie;

At the time I didn't know... I was... In fact a hippy (now I am called green,)Until today when someone pointed it out to me and then supported his claim with proof... Even my kids knew.

Why didn't anyone tell me before? I always saw myself as, courious and sensible... more of a pioneer...

50 Signs Pointing to the Fact it Could Be True I was a Hippy...

The fact that I grew up in Nevada County in the 70s
  • I know how to grind my own wheat and make my own bread.
  • Was a former card member of Le Leche League.
  • Taught all my children how to can their own fruits and veggies and jam.
  • I have raised ducks and chickens and eaten the eggs.
  • I have worn a denim jumper. (Please don't tell anyone.)
  • I have owned a horse.
  • I have milked a goat and have drank the milk (Ew...what was I thinking?)
  • I have made yogurt.
  • I have made my own peanut butter.
  • I have picked blackberries on the side of the road.
  • I know who Carla Emery is.
  • I like Carly Simon.
  • I have had a VERY large collection of canning jars.
  • I have made my own candles.
  • I have made my own soap.
  • I like to camp.
  • I have cut my own firewood.
  • I know how to make granola.
  • Some of my children wore cloth diapers.
  • I was a vegetarian for more then 3 years.
  • I shop at a health food store on a regular basis.
  • I have used many herbal remedies.
  • I love daisies.
  • I used to have a basket collection.
  • My children grew up watching PBS.
  • I know how to fish.
  • I love tofu.
  • I invented my own smoothie recipe.
  • I have loved every peasant blouse that I have ever seen, even though I cant wear them.
  • I have grown my own sprouts. (all types)
  • I have had my own organic compost pile.
  • I have raised far too many zucchini and tomatoes.
  • I have owned a dehydrator and made my own fruit leather.
  • My brothers raised their own pot to earn money for to pay for their dirt bikes.
  • I have worn my hair in braids too many times.
  • I have owned a woody station wagon.
  • I played around with home schooling my children.
  • I collected insects, raised them and bred them.
  • I know how to quilt.
  • I forced my family to eat only whole grains.
  • I have made my children matching clothing when they were young.
  • I have more then 2.5 children. (I have 5 total)
  • I have a child that plays the harp.
  • I have a love for llamas (does this make me a llama mama....No...I do however own a large bag of llama fiber waiting to spun into yarn...)
  • I can crochet and knit.
  • I like to recycle. (My son now is a major recycler and finder in the trash... I need to do an entire post on him and his finds... It is truly amazing what people throw away.)
  • I love to make bran muffins.
  • I gave up sugar for honey and ground dates for a few years.
  • I have handpicked all the tomato hornworms out of my garden so that I didn't have to use pesticides.
  • I have owned more then one Tye-dyed item.
  • Most of these things are still the same today... and perhaps to a larger extent... I would say people would call me green or environmental minded. I


    5 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Hi there,

    Thanks for commenting on FoldingTrees.com

    I would love you to become a part of the 1000 paper cranes project. If you like you can send me (eve@foldingtrees.com)a picture (800x600) of your own recycled paper crane. I will post it on our site and it will become part of the total 1000.

    Would love to hear from you.
    Eve

    naomi said...

    hey, thanks for your message on my blog. I love your hippie list! I think I too could qualify, looking at some of the requirements. Although I would never class myself a hippie, I realise that a lot of the back to basics stuff I do (like grinding wheat, making yogurt) are seen as very alternate by others.

    feistyurchin said...

    OK, so I can ditto about 75% of those things. The only exceptions on your list are child related (because I have none). These days I think there's quite a bit of hippie going on but now it's not so 'far out'. I come from the land of hippies though, so I'm biased.

    Anonymous said...

    Heavens! I must have been a hippy too! Although I think I prefer the term "Earth Mother".

    However, after careful study in the full length mirror, "Hippy" may just be more accurate.

    TX Poppet at Canned Laughter

    Anna - Three Sneaky Bugs said...

    Well, I ticked off 17 of your 50 that I've done as well. I'm sure I could come up with another 32 similar attributes as well. The funny thing is our "hippie"ness is starting to become popular.

    All I can say to that is it's about time!