Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Making a New Ironing Board Cover

Okay it's confession time... My ironing board had taken on a life of it's own. I can't even remember where it came from... but somehow about 3 years ago this ironing board came to stay at our house... I'd like to think that it came dirty and icky... but I can't even remember that... Let's just say this morning when I was having my coffee... I decided it was GROSS... and the cover had to go...

I removed the exsisting cover and rummaged around in my washed fabric and came upon a nice thick piece of white canvas. (Please note: it would be wise to iron the new fabric before removing the old cover...) I laid the old cover on the new fabric and cut it out with a 5/8 inch margin.
(The tag inside of the cover said do not machine or handwash... How would you clean it? You would have to replace it.)
I used a normal piece of store bought bias tape that I already had to finish the edges of the cover and to create a casing. I pulled a strong piece of kitchen string to gather the cover and tighten the cover to make it lay tightly and taunt.
Then I cut out a piece of Insul-bright (a heat resistant batting) the same size as the flimsy little foam pad.
I used a normal piece of store bought bias tape that I already had to finish the edges of the cover and to create a casing. I pulled a strong piece of kitchen string to gather the cover and tighten the cover to make it lay tightly and taunt.
TaDa....New lovely Ironing board.... I love it... It is a cheery white... and it is washable.... whoo!hoo!


The new cover went immediately to work cutting out new pot holders.

5 comments:

Alexa Lett said...

Just wanted to thank you for the kind words about my quirky bead baskets. And yes, they are aging beautifully. I feel certain my crafts viewed in 50 years will certainly create some questions....great ironing board cover!!

henny said...

I really want to 'copy' your work on this sewing board project. Just need to find the time :)
thanks Shelly!

corry said...

What a great idea to make a new ironing board cover that is washable! I believe my ironing board can also use a makeover!

Chile said...

Great tutorial, even for those of us who don't sew well (yet).

Unknown said...

I have a ironing board that is custom-- and by that I mean built in 1962 when the house was built and fits nothing from any store. I should steal your idea!
Thanks!